Snap has updated its Lens Studio desktop app with 14 new Landmarkers, six new facial templates, and an interactive tour for new users.
Only weeks after Facebook announced that its Spark AR Studio is moving out of beta, allowing anyone to create and publish Spark AR effects on Instagram, Snap is following a similar strategy to bring easy AR creation to many more creators, with the motto: “Anyone can be a Lens Creator.”
With the latest update of its Lens Studio desktop app, Snap is bringing a range of features that will appeal to different creators – experienced in 3D modelling, or not. The update includes Landmarkers for 14 new locations around the world, six new facial filter templates, and an interactive tour for users who have no previous experience with the app or AR.
Snap introduced its Landmarkers AR Lenses back in April, bringing some of the world’s most well-known landmarks to life. The first batch included The Eiffel Tower (Paris, France), Buckingham Palace (London, UK), the Capitol (Washington DC, USA), the Flatiron Building (NYC, USA) and the TCL Chinese Theatre (Hollywood CA, USA). The feature was part of Lens Studio’s upgrade 2.0.
The latest update brings 14 new locations:
Arc de Triomphe (Paris, France)
Astronomical Clock (Prague, Czech Republic)
Brandenburg Gate (Berlin, Germany)
El Castillo (Chichen Itza, Mexico)
Galata Tower (Istanbul, Turkey)
Gateway of India (Mumbai, India)
Leaning Tower of Pisa (Pisa, Italy)
Natural History Museum (London, UK)
Neues Rathaus (Munich, Germany)
Qasr Al-Farid (Mada’in Saleh, Saudi Arabia)
Great Sphinx of Giza (Giza, Egypt)
Statue of Liberty (New York City, USA)
Taj Mahal (Agra, India)
Tower Bridge (London, UK)
With the update to version 2.1.0, Snap has also added six new facial Lens templates, bringing the total to around 46 options:
- Skeletal Template – Skeletal tracking brings the ability to track content to people’s head, neck, shoulders, elbows and hands. It is ideal for registering content to people at a distance from the camera.
- Face In Video Template – Face In Video allows tracking of a user’s face onto a video.
- Hair Color Template – The template allows the modification of hair with simple controls, choosing between one or two colours, where the colouring is applied, and how it appears.
- Countdown Template – The template allows the creation of Lenses that count down to specific dates and the ability to add celebratory 3D hats and glasses.
- Portrait Particles Template – It allows you the customisation of particles that appear behind a user. These can be personalised by adding a custom message, headers, footers, and post-effects.
- Makeup Template – The template allows the application of lip gloss, blush, eyeshadow and more. Optionally, makeup can be exported to use in other Lens projects as well.
Finally, Lens Studio now also features an interactive new user tutorial – a step-by-step tour that makes it easier for anyone to create their first Lens.
Since Snap launched Lens Studio back in 2017 over 500,000 Lenses have been developed, and constant additions like these make it easier for brands and individuals alike to create their first AR experiences.
You can download the new version of Lens Studio here.
You might also like
More from Snapchat
Snapchat Introduces Shared Stories
Snapchat shared stories will let users who have been added to custom stories invite their own friends to contribute. Custom Stories …
Snapchat Partners With Ticketmaster To Launch New Events Map Layer
The new Ticketmaster Snap Mini will allow Snapchat users to find nearby events on the map, and tap on them …
Snapchat Introduces New Personal Safety ‘Live Location’ Feature
Snapchat is introducing a new way to keep track of where your friends are by seeing their real-time location on …
Snapchat Will Finally Let You Change Your Silly Old Username
Snapchat will now let you change your old username without compromising aspects of your account, like friends list, Snap codes, …
Snapchat Is Introducing Mid-Roll Ads In Snap Star Stories
Snapchat has announced the beta test of mid-roll ads in Snap Star Stories, a new monetization feature for creators.
Snapchat Unveils New AR Catalog-Powered Shopping Lenses
Snapchat has improved its AR shopping Lens offering by adding new Shopping Lenses that display details about products.
Snapchat Introduces New Emoji Polls, Bitmoji Reactions, And More
Snapchat is updating its app with new tweaks to personalize the in-app experience and make it more fun and engaging.
Snapchat Opens AR Christmas Market With Six Major Retailers
The holiday market will feature AR experiences from Coca-Cola, Hollister, Prime Video, Under Armour, Verizon, and Walmart.
Snapchat Launches New Multi-Format Ad Delivery Option
Snapchat's new "Multiple Formats" delivery option will allow advertisers to combine multiple video ad formats into a single ad set.