Snap has updated its Lens Studio desktop app with 14 new Landmarkers, six new facial templates, and an interactive tour for new users.
Only weeks after Facebook announced that its Spark AR Studio is moving out of beta, allowing anyone to create and publish Spark AR effects on Instagram, Snap is following a similar strategy to bring easy AR creation to many more creators, with the motto: “Anyone can be a Lens Creator.”
With the latest update of its Lens Studio desktop app, Snap is bringing a range of features that will appeal to different creators – experienced in 3D modelling, or not. The update includes Landmarkers for 14 new locations around the world, six new facial filter templates, and an interactive tour for users who have no previous experience with the app or AR.
Snap introduced its Landmarkers AR Lenses back in April, bringing some of the world’s most well-known landmarks to life. The first batch included The Eiffel Tower (Paris, France), Buckingham Palace (London, UK), the Capitol (Washington DC, USA), the Flatiron Building (NYC, USA) and the TCL Chinese Theatre (Hollywood CA, USA). The feature was part of Lens Studio’s upgrade 2.0.
The latest update brings 14 new locations:
Arc de Triomphe (Paris, France)
Astronomical Clock (Prague, Czech Republic)
Brandenburg Gate (Berlin, Germany)
El Castillo (Chichen Itza, Mexico)
Galata Tower (Istanbul, Turkey)
Gateway of India (Mumbai, India)
Leaning Tower of Pisa (Pisa, Italy)
Natural History Museum (London, UK)
Neues Rathaus (Munich, Germany)
Qasr Al-Farid (Mada’in Saleh, Saudi Arabia)
Great Sphinx of Giza (Giza, Egypt)
Statue of Liberty (New York City, USA)
Taj Mahal (Agra, India)
Tower Bridge (London, UK)
With the update to version 2.1.0, Snap has also added six new facial Lens templates, bringing the total to around 46 options:
- Skeletal Template – Skeletal tracking brings the ability to track content to people’s head, neck, shoulders, elbows and hands. It is ideal for registering content to people at a distance from the camera.
- Face In Video Template – Face In Video allows tracking of a user’s face onto a video.
- Hair Color Template – The template allows the modification of hair with simple controls, choosing between one or two colours, where the colouring is applied, and how it appears.
- Countdown Template – The template allows the creation of Lenses that count down to specific dates and the ability to add celebratory 3D hats and glasses.
- Portrait Particles Template – It allows you the customisation of particles that appear behind a user. These can be personalised by adding a custom message, headers, footers, and post-effects.
- Makeup Template – The template allows the application of lip gloss, blush, eyeshadow and more. Optionally, makeup can be exported to use in other Lens projects as well.
Finally, Lens Studio now also features an interactive new user tutorial – a step-by-step tour that makes it easier for anyone to create their first Lens.
Since Snap launched Lens Studio back in 2017 over 500,000 Lenses have been developed, and constant additions like these make it easier for brands and individuals alike to create their first AR experiences.
You can download the new version of Lens Studio here.
You might also like
More from Snapchat
Snapchat Spotlight, Snap's new TikTok competitor, has already gained over 100 million MAUs since its launch in December.
Snapchat's global virtual event exploring today's AR "lenscape" is open to the public, and taking place this week. Make sure …
Snapchat has announced a new curated entertainment platform that will surface the most entertaining Snaps all in one place.
Snapchat is introducing new features to let you create an Astrological Profile and see shared Astrological Compatibility with your friends.
Snapchat follower counts are now a reality as the platform turns on the feature for accounts with large followings.