Good news for people who spend a lot of time in front of their screens; Google has announced that dark theme support is finally coming to Gmail on mobile.
Back in January, Google launched a new design for the mobile version of Gmail, full of new AI features like Smart Compose or Smart Reply, or the ability to view attachments or search for a specific email. Now, Google is “further enhancing the Gmail experience” with the introduction of dark theme support.
Dark theme will be rolling out this week, so if you’d like to try it, you first need to see if it’s been rolled out to your device.
— Gmail (@gmail) September 24, 2019
Here’s how to enable dark theme on Gmail for Android:
- If you’re using Android 10, all you have to do is turn on dark theme in the Android Display system setting, and Gmail will automatically respect the system default setting.
- On Pixel, Gmail will automatically default to dark theme when Battery Saver is enabled.
- Alternatively, Gmail go to Settings > Theme and select “Dark”.
Here’s how to enable dark theme in Gmail on iOS:
- On iOS 11 or 12, you can enable dark theme by going to Settings > Dark Theme.
- On iOS 13, to enable dark theme you can:
– Set your device to dark theme in iOS Settings, and Gmail, by default, will automatically respect the system default setting.
– Or, in Gmail go to Settings > Theme and select “Dark”.
On both Android 10 and iOS there is an extended rollout time that could potentially be longer than 15 days for the feature to appear. Rollout began on September 24, 2019. The feature is available to all G Suite editions, and is not on or off by default. As detailed above, it will always automatically respect the system settings in Android 10 and iOS 13. However, it can be enabled at will.
More from Google
As part of its commitment to support SMBs during the COVID-19 pandemic, Google is making $340 million in Google Ads …
Google is updating its "Other restricted businesses policy" with a ban on ads for documents or services that people can …
As Google takes measures to protect the health of its team members, some Google My Business features will be limited …