At Snap’s Partner Summit, Snapchat debuted Minis, a collection of lightweight third-party apps that come to life inside the app’s Chat.
Snap Minis are bite-sized apps that can be accessed only inside the app’s Chat. They live alongside games in a keyboard tab on the user’s chat screen. When you tap on them, the Mini you selected goes full-screen.
Like Snap Games, Minis are built using HTML5 and can be quickly called up without a download on the user’s phone.
For now, Snapchat has only a few partners that let users do things like order movie tickets (Atom Tickets), order festival tickets (Coachella), compare class schedules (Saturn), studying a flashcard deck (Tembo) or going through a guided meditation (Headspace.)
Developers can create Minis via Snapchat’s developer platform Snap Kit.
“I think we have always thought that these developers and brands shouldn’t really be posing as your friends, that was one of the initial product concerns that we had with chatbots,” Snap VP of Product Will Wu explained.
Snap detailed the first seven Minis (listed below) that will begin rolling out to the app next month.
- Coachella – At the next Coachella, coordinate and plan your festival lineup with your friends.
- Headspace – With the Headspace Mini, Snapchatters can kick back with quick meditations and send encouraging messages to boost friends in need.
- Let’s Do It (Snap Inc.) – When you and your friends need to make a decision as a group, Let’s Do It helps pick your next move.
- Movie Tickets by Atom – Choose a show time at a local theater, select the best seats together, and individually pay for tickets to see the show. Stream the latest movie trailers and share them with friends.
- Prediction Master – From Mammoth Media, Prediction Master serves timely questions on everything from the Stock Market to sneaker drops, so Snapchatters can see which of their friends is the true psychic.
- Saturn – The Saturn Mini helps students share and compare their class schedules.
- Tembo – Create flashcard decks with friends on Snapchat, to help cram for your next exam.
You might also like
More from Snapchat
Snapchat Spotlight, Snap's new TikTok competitor, has already gained over 100 million MAUs since its launch in December.
Snapchat's global virtual event exploring today's AR "lenscape" is open to the public, and taking place this week. Make sure …
Snapchat has announced a new curated entertainment platform that will surface the most entertaining Snaps all in one place.
Snapchat is introducing new features to let you create an Astrological Profile and see shared Astrological Compatibility with your friends.
Snapchat follower counts are now a reality as the platform turns on the feature for accounts with large followings.