At Snap’s Partner Summit, Snapchat debuted Minis, a collection of lightweight third-party apps that come to life inside the app’s Chat.
Snap Minis are bite-sized apps that can be accessed only inside the app’s Chat. They live alongside games in a keyboard tab on the user’s chat screen. When you tap on them, the Mini you selected goes full-screen.
Like Snap Games, Minis are built using HTML5 and can be quickly called up without a download on the user’s phone.
For now, Snapchat has only a few partners that let users do things like order movie tickets (Atom Tickets), order festival tickets (Coachella), compare class schedules (Saturn), studying a flashcard deck (Tembo) or going through a guided meditation (Headspace.)
Developers can create Minis via Snapchat’s developer platform Snap Kit.
“I think we have always thought that these developers and brands shouldn’t really be posing as your friends, that was one of the initial product concerns that we had with chatbots,” Snap VP of Product Will Wu explained.
Snapchat is bringing something BIG to chats with… Minis!
Snap detailed the first seven Minis (listed below) that will begin rolling out to the app next month.
- Coachella – At the next Coachella, coordinate and plan your festival lineup with your friends.
- Headspace – With the Headspace Mini, Snapchatters can kick back with quick meditations and send encouraging messages to boost friends in need.
- Let’s Do It (Snap Inc.) – When you and your friends need to make a decision as a group, Let’s Do It helps pick your next move.
- Movie Tickets by Atom – Choose a show time at a local theater, select the best seats together, and individually pay for tickets to see the show. Stream the latest movie trailers and share them with friends.
- Prediction Master – From Mammoth Media, Prediction Master serves timely questions on everything from the Stock Market to sneaker drops, so Snapchatters can see which of their friends is the true psychic.
- Saturn – The Saturn Mini helps students share and compare their class schedules.
- Tembo – Create flashcard decks with friends on Snapchat, to help cram for your next exam.
You might also like
More from Snapchat
Snapchat's free Snap Focus course helps you master advertising on its platform and complete your Snapchat Advertising Essentials certification.
Snapchat has announced it will no longer promote Donald Trump's Stories on its Discover homepage. His public account won't be …
Snapchat has announced a new augmented reality lens created in collaboration with world-renowned British artist Damien Hirst.
The entire cast of long-running hit sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reunited on Will Smith's original show on Snapchat.