Spotify is kicking off its new audiobook offering with nine books that have been narrated by actors and celebrities.
After experimenting with audiobooks last year, Spotify is now starting to offer a dedicated audiobook section featuring nine literary classics that can be listened to for free.
Each audiobook is narrated by a well-known celebrity and comes with a 10- to 15-minute chapter with Harvard Professor Glenda Carpio called “Sitting with the Classics on Spotify.” Each chapter goes over the history of the book, its narratives – and its themes.
Related | These Barilla Spotify Playlists Tell You How To Cook Your Pasta Al Dente
The titles currently on offer – and the people who narrate each, are:
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, narrated by David Dobrik
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass, narrated by Forest Whitaker
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin, narrated by Hilary Swank
- Persuasion by Jane Austen, narrated by Cynthia Erivo
- Cane by Jean Toomer, narrated by Audra McDonald
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, narrated by James Langton
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, narrated by Sarah Coombs
- Passing by Nella Larsen, narrated by Bahni Turpin
- Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane, narrated by Santino Fontana
Users can listen to these for free.
Spotify had started experimenting with audiobooks last year, bringing the first Harry Potter book to the platform – narrated by Daniel Radcliffe, David Beckham, and Dakota Fanning. Only now, though, are we seeing the culmination of the company’s efforts in this domain.
We currently don’t have any more information about how Spotify’s audiobook efforts might pan out, but if these first titles are popular, I believe we can see them expand soon.
You might also like
More from Other Platforms
Tinder Will Remove Social Profiles From Bios
Tinder says it will remove social profiles from bios as part of its updated community guidelines to keep the dating …
Discord Rolls Out Server Subscriptions In The US
Discord server subscriptions are available for all servers whose owners are in the US, ranging in price from $2.99 to …
Apple Redesigned The Entire iCloud.com Experience
Apple has given iCloud.com a major redesign, adding widget-like tiles that make the site look and feel a lot more …
Discord Launches Voice Channel Emoji Reactions
Discord has released Voice Channel Reactions, a new feature that celebrates one of the most popular behaviors on its platform…the …
Netflix Is Building Its Own Mobile Games Studio In Finland
Netflix has announced it is building an in-house mobile games studio for Netflix Games in Helsinki, Finland. Finland was chosen as …