Spotify is kicking off its new audiobook offering with nine books that have been narrated by actors and celebrities.
After experimenting with audiobooks last year, Spotify is now starting to offer a dedicated audiobook section featuring nine literary classics that can be listened to for free.
Each audiobook is narrated by a well-known celebrity and comes with a 10- to 15-minute chapter with Harvard Professor Glenda Carpio called “Sitting with the Classics on Spotify.” Each chapter goes over the history of the book, its narratives – and its themes.
The titles currently on offer – and the people who narrate each, are:
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, narrated by David Dobrik
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass, narrated by Forest Whitaker
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin, narrated by Hilary Swank
- Persuasion by Jane Austen, narrated by Cynthia Erivo
- Cane by Jean Toomer, narrated by Audra McDonald
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, narrated by James Langton
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, narrated by Sarah Coombs
- Passing by Nella Larsen, narrated by Bahni Turpin
- Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane, narrated by Santino Fontana
Users can listen to these for free.
Spotify had started experimenting with audiobooks last year, bringing the first Harry Potter book to the platform – narrated by Daniel Radcliffe, David Beckham, and Dakota Fanning. Only now, though, are we seeing the culmination of the company’s efforts in this domain.
We currently don’t have any more information about how Spotify’s audiobook efforts might pan out, but if these first titles are popular, I believe we can see them expand soon.
You might also like
More from Other Platforms
Ahead of the holiday shopping season, Facebook has announced daily Live Shopping experiences and the return of #BuyBlack Friday.
The app announced two new features that will inform users about outages and issues with their account status directly within …
YouTube has announced that the unpopular year-end Rewinds will be substituted by another "experience" it is yet to specify.
By the end of this year, AdSense auctions will no longer be determined by second-highest bids, as Google moves its …
Clubhouse is expanding its Clips to all iOS users and introducing a new link option to share conversations to other …
Pinterest is introducing new social-shopping features, including a new shoppable video ad format automatically generated from catalogs.