The announcement was quiet, but Apple confirmed iOS 14.5 will be available next week, alongside WatchOS 7.4 and macOS 11.3.
Apple did not bother making an official announcement for the release of iOS 14.5, meddling it withing the press release for its new AirTag tracker.
Apple launched the iOS 14.5 beta earlier this year in February. For its official release, the iOS update will add AirTag support but also implement Apple’s new App Tracking Transparency requirement, which mandates that developers ask for permission to track users for ad targeting.
The new version of iOS also introduces several inclusivity features, including the ability to change Siri’s voice and new skin tone options for some Emoji. Siri is also getting an upgrade, outside of a new voice option, that will allow it to learn which apps you prefer for audio-listening activities, like streaming music requests on Spotify for example.
Apple did not provide an exact date for the final release of iOS 14.5. Users will be notified via their phones as usual and be able to download the update automatically.
While it’s impossible to know what new features will make the final cut, here is a list of all that was new in iOS 14.5, thanks to our friends over at 9to5mac.com:
Here’s a rundown of new features discovered during the iOS 14.5 beta cycle:
- New “Items” tab in the Find My app for tracking AirTags and other third-party accessories
- Support for Apple Card Family Sharing
- Horizontal boot screen on the iPad
- Updates to the Music app, including swipe gestures, a lyrics sharing feature, and more
- AirPlay 2 support for Fitness+ workouts
- Waze-like features in Apple Maps and groundwork for business busy data
- PS5 / Xbox Series X controller support
- Siri no longer defaults to a female voice, two new choices added
You might also like
More from Tech
Sony has recently become a minor investor in Discord and will integrate the online chat app to Playstation early next …
According to reports, eBay is open to accepting cryptocurrencies as a form of payment and is examining ways to add …
Spotify is rolling out a new more streamlined 'Your Library' that makes it easier to discover and rediscover music and …
European luxury brands are joining forces to secure the authenticity of their products with a blockchain-based tracking system.