It’s mind boggling to think that Facebook was only founded 10 years ago – it has changed our lives so much. The last ten years have seen a huge rise in social media influence, not only in terms of communication, but also in terms of business, travel, tourism, relationships, food, etc. The list just goes on and on – I am sure you can think of a thousand examples.
But what has really happened over the last 10 years? Take a long look at social media history from 2004 to 2014 and you will find some very interesting things – some you may have forgotten.
Also Read: The Complete History of Instagram
Can you remember Facebook without the infamous “like” button, or a time with no Facebook at all? Do you even remember MySpace? Here are a few very interesting facts about the “young” history of social media.
Key Points To Remember
- – The like button appeared in 2009 (not that long ago if you think about it)
- – Yes, here was a time that MySpace had more users than Facebook
- – In 2009 YouTube gained its billionth view, something that Gangnam Style did in less than two years (2012 – 2014)
- – Tumblr is already 7 this year and that Google+ was only launched in 2011
Some of the numbers are simply staggering. Check them out for yourself in this social media infographic from MediaVision. I present to you the “Evolution of Social Media 2004 – 2014”.
- Return on 5 Years of Fast Evolution in Social Media
- 5 Top Social Media Myths Explained
- A Look Back on 5 Years of LinkedIn Evolution
You might also like
More from Experts Talk
In this month’s social media experiment, we set out to find out whether posting YouTube links on other platforms results …
Do longer Instagram Reels captions generate more engagement? Amanda Wood, Senior Social Marketing Manager at Hootsuite, and her team find …
Does TikTok’s 7-second challenge generate more engagement? Hootsuite's Senior Social Marketing Manager and her team seek the answer.