Instagram has come a long way since it was founded by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger. After being launched in 2010, and sold to Facebook two years later, it’s one of the most powerful social networks today. If you didn’t already know them, here are 139 facts and stats about one of the world’s favourite social apps.
With seven years under its belt, and hundreds of millions of daily users, Instagram is very important to marketers. It is a huge engagement driver, and shares a powerful ad platform with Facebook, making it a spectacular marketing tool. It does have some caveats though. Links, for example, as marketers have very limited options in terms of how they can drive traffic from Instagram.
This infographic from WebsiteBuilder tells you everything you need to know about Instagram right now… a little bit of history, fact, stats, and a whole lot more. Let’s look at some of the highlights. You can then scroll through the infographic to dig a bit deeper.
- 1 million – The number of users on Instagram within two months of its launch. Facebook had 600 million users at the time.
- 1 billion – The amount that Facebook paid for Instagram in 2012.
- 300 million – The number of users on Instagram in December 2014.
- March 2016 – Instagram introduces an algorithm-ordered feed.
- Over 80% – The percentage of users on Instagram who are outside the United States.
- 32% – The percentage of Instagram users who are at college or have been to college.
- 30% – The percentage of Instagram users who are considered “high earners.”
- Over 600 million – The number of users currently on Instagram.
- 4.2 billion – The number of Likes on images or videos on Instagram each day.
- $1.53 billion – The amount Instagram is expected to have brought in global mobile ad revenue in 2016. It’s also 8.4% of Facebook’s global mobile ad revenue.
- Almost 6 million – The number of Likes on Instagram’s most popular post.
- Over 203 million – The number of Followers on Instagram’s most popular account. The account in question, is none other than Instagram itself.
- Clarendon – Instagram’s most popular filter. Globally.
- #Social – One of the top hashtags to use for marketing.
- #Love – One of the most popular hashtags on Instagram.
- #Foodporn – Literally one of the best hashtags for restaurants to use.
- 48.8% – The percentage of brand that are using Instagram.
- 50% – The percentage of Instagrammer who follow at least one business.
- Nike – Instagram’s most popular brand.
- Over 280 million – The number of selfies on Instagram.
You might also like
More from Instagram
Instagram’s New Twitter Competitor Revealed
Instagram's rumored text-based Twitter competitor still does not have a name, but now we know what it might look like. The …
Instagram Now Lets You Add Up To 5 ‘Links In Bio’
Instagram is rolling out a new feature for adding up to 5 'links in bio' - a feature doomed to …
Instagram Collaborative Collections Are The New Way To Save And Share Content With Your Friends
Instagram is introducing a new 'Save posts with friends' that lets you create a collaborative collection for you and your …
Instagram Is Testing A ‘Top 3’ Sticker To Boost Engagement
According to reports, Instagram is testing a new Top 3 sticker for Stories, allowing users to highlight favorite accounts, places, …
Instagram Is Pulling The Plug On Live Shopping
Meta announced it will move away from live shopping on Instagram, removing the ability for users to tag products in …
How To Create Instagram Notes (And Delete Them!)
Instagram Notes are a new feature launched by Instagram that allows users to share posts containing only text and Emojis. Instagram …
Instagram Is Testing A Way To Mint And Sell NFTs
Meta has announced that Instagram is testing minting and selling NFTs on its platform with a small group of Creators …