After launching its .new extensions last year, Google has now made it possible to start a Meet call simply by typing “meet.new” in your browser.
Last year, Google introduced a new “.new” links feature that allows you to create new Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Forms, and Website documents on the web, simply by writing docs.new, sheets.new, slides.new. sites.new, forms.new, and website.new in your browser and hitting enter.
Now, it’s bringing the feature to Google Meet as well, allowing you to start a new call on the platform with the “meet.new” link.
Related | Google Meet Gets AI-Powered Noise Cancellation
As a result, meet.new has exactly the same functionality as tapping the “Start a meeting” button at meet.google.com, or from the sidebar in Gmail sidebar, taking you to the “Meeting ready” screen. There you can get the call’s URL to copy and share it.
On the left, you will find a video and audio preview – clicking on “Join now” or “Present” takes you directly to the call or allows you to present on the call, respectively.
If you want to know which Google account you’re using, you can see the account you’re logged in to in the top-right corner as is the case with all Google services. As an added bonus, you can use a “/1” or “/2” as part of the .new link to start a call from some other Google Account.
For example, meet.new/1 connects you to one Google account, while meet.new/2 connects you to another. Google Meet is now available to everyone – not just G Suite customers – so this is probably a useful addition.
Any company or organization can register its own .new domain letting people get to things faster. Here are some of the shortcuts that are already out there:
- Playlist.new: Create a new playlist to add songs on Spotify.
- Story.new: Write about what matters to you on Medium.
- Canva.new: Create beautiful designs with your team.
- Webex.new: For an easy, fast, and secure way to start your personal meeting room from any browser, try this shortcut from Cisco Webex.
- Link.new: Instantly create trusted, powerful, recognizable links that maximize the impact of every digital initiative using Bitly.
- Invoice.new: Create, customize, and send customer invoices directly from the Stripe Dashboard.
- Api.new: Prototype and launch your ideas for new Node.js API endpoints with this shortcut from RunKit.
- Coda.new: Simplify your team’s work with a new doc that combines documents and spreadsheets into a single canvas.
- Music.new: Create personalized song artwork for OVO Sound artist releases, pre-save upcoming music, and play the latest content with a single click.
- Cal.new: Create a new Google Calendar event right from your browser.
You might also like
More from Google
Google Product Studio Lets Merchants Create Product Imagery With Generative AI
Google is launching Product Studio, a new tool that lets merchants create product imagery for free, using generative AI. Google Product …
Google Will Delete Accounts That Have Been Inactive For Two Years
Google said it plans to delete account that have not accessed any of its services for two years, as part …
Google I/O Keynote Round-Up: All-In On AI
During its I/O keynote, Google showed off its latest advances in AI, across search, photo editor and Bard, its own …
No More Passwords, Google Is Rolling Out Passkeys Globally
You no longer require a password to sign in on to your Google account, with passkeys rolling out to all …
Tech Companies Are Teaming Up To Free Us From Passwords
Apple, Google, and Microsoft are committing to expanded support for the FIDO standard to bring a passwordless future.
You Can Now Create Custom Voices With Google Cloud Text-to-Speech API
Google Cloud has announced a new feature within its TTS API that lets users generate a unique, new synthetic voice …
Google Replaces Classic Hangouts With Chat On Workspace
On March 22, users attempting to access Google's Hangouts chat services will automatically be redirected to Google Chat instead.
Google Rolls Out New Search Filters To All Users On Drive
Almost two years after introducing search chips into Gmail, Google has now announced the rollout of supportive filters to Google …
Google Unveils Early Access To Chrome OS Flex For PCs And Macs
Google has announced early access to Chrome OS Flex, a new version of Chrome OS that will bring the benefits …