Pinterest released its Pinterest 100, looking at the top trends that will shape the year ahead, around everything from retail, health & wellness, and more.
This time every year, Pinterest releases the Pinterest 100, an overview of the top most-anticipated trends that will shape the next year. This year is different, as we’re nearing the beginning of a brand new decade, so Pinterest is “going beyond top trending ideas to reveal the top cultural shifts that will remain relevant, emerge or continue in 2020.”
This year’s Pinterest 100 concentrates on a range of topics and trends to inspire. These include:
- Beyond Binary (Gender Neutral)
- Conscious Consumption (Sustainability)
- Finding Balance (Health & Wellness)
- Home Hub
- Internationally Inspired
- Responsible Travel
- Space Everything
- 90s Rerun
Society is changing, and there is a more accepting view of gender identity than ever before. This is reflected in search trends, with people searching for more gender-neutral options, both for their everyday needs and for milestone events. More companies around the world are creating products that are inclusive and don’t adhere to gendered labels and colors.
New generations, and Gen Z in particular, expect more gender-neutral options, with 59% looking for gender-neutral options on forms, as opposed to 40% of Boomers.
- Gender-neutral names: Searches for gender-neutral names lists are up 301%.
- Unisex nurseries: Searches for unisex nursery gender-neutral are up 527%.
- Androgynous wedding wear: Searches for androgynous wedding dress options are up 51%.
- Tuxedo dresses: Searches for tuxedo dress ideas are up 99%.
- Gender-neutral haircut: Searches for gender-neutral haircut ideas are up 625%.
Eco-friendly habits are on the increase as there’s a “shift toward more conscious consumption as people reevaluate their impact.” Using fewer products that are more sustainable, or limiting waste. People want companies to do their part as well.
A recent Nielsen study found that “81% of people strongly agreed that companies should help improve the environment.” People are now demanding action on things like climate change.
- Protest posters: Searches for climate change protest signs are up 5961%.
- Low-waste living: Searches for tips on how to lead a low-waste lifestyle are up 446%.
- Thrifted home decor: Searches for “thrifted” home decor ideas are up 308%.
- Solar light crafts: Searches for energy-efficient designs like solar light crafts are up 427%.
- Thrift store crafts: Searches for thrift store crafts ideas are up 2276%.
“Wellness” is not just about spas or relaxation getaways. “Next year, people will be thinking about wellness in a more everyday way, as they look for easy habits to counter anxiety, stress, and burnout.”
People are turning to hobbies and activities that help them find balance and positivity in their day-to-day life.
- Self-discovery journal prompts: Searches for self-discovery journal prompts are up 147%.
- Social media detox: Searches for how to detox from social media are up 314%.
- Embrace being single: Searches for how to embrace being single are up 49%.
- Art therapy activities: Searches for art therapy activities are up 444%.
- Sea moss: Searches for the benefits of sea moss are up 380%.
People are spending more and more time at home, and this means big business for companies that concentrate on home decor, athleisure, and even delivery services. There’s no place like home.
- Indoor microgreens: Searches for tips and ideas on growing microgreens indoor are up 223%.
- Audio rooms: Searches for the “ultimate surround-sound listening experience,” aka the audio room are up 803%.
- Homebrewing: Searches for brewing equipment and ideas on how to brew at home are up 411%.
- Indoor water fountains: Searches for indoor water fountains are up 917%.
- Home theaters: Searches for home theater design ideas and tips are up 368%.
- Coffee stations: Searches for home coffee stations are up 751%.
- Homemade baby food: Searches for homemade baby food ideas are up 379%.
The Internet makes the world smaller, as “people trade influences and traditions every which way.” Travelers are looking for more meaningful things to do while traveling, and when they get gone they try “to recreate those experiences on their plates and on their walls.”
- Spanish bathrooms: Searches for Spanish style bathrooms are up 309%, especially in India and the Philippines.
- Indian living rooms: Searches for Indian living rooms are up 2080%, especially in the US and the UK.
- French antiques: Searches for French antiques are up 384%, especially in Iran and Egypt.
- Australian landscaping: Searches for Australian garden landscaping is up 781%, especially in South Africa and Canada.
- Japanese tubs: Searches for Japanese soaking tubs are up 563%, especially in Australia and New Zealand.
- Macedonian meals: Search for food like kebapi (sausages) and tavche gravche (baked beans), especially in Australia and Germany, are up 509%
People love pampering their pets. According to the research, “pet pampering is reaching all-time highs. We’re talking farm-to-table dog food, pet playgrounds, and even feline fashion.”
Millennials are delaying their traditional family milestones like marriage, and “are turning to fur babies for companionship.”
In the UK, over 50% of pet parents between the ages of 19 and 38 say they’d rather cut expenses for themselves than cut back for their pets.
- Pet resorts: Searches for pet resorts are up 260%.
- Outdoor cat playgrounds: Searches for outdoor cat playgrounds are up 512%.
- Dog toilets: Searches for dog toilet area in gardens are up 214%.
- Goat playhouses: Searches for “goat playground ideas pallet playhouse” are up 150%.
- Pet memorials: Searches for backyard pet memorials are up 261%.
Tourism is becoming more eco-conscious as well, “as people look to lessen their impact when exploring new places.” And this means some travelers are actually monitoring their impact. Cleaner transit methods are on the up, as are “staycations instead of long-distance getaways.” For some others, it’s more about the cultural impact – “avoiding overcrowded hot spots and picking destinations with smaller tourist scenes.”
- Train travel: Searches for train travel are up 107%.
- Zero-waste travel essentials: Searches for zero waste travel essentials are up 48%.
- Eco-friendly travel: Searches for eco-friendly travel are up 73%.
- Agritourism: Searches for agritourism ideas are up 57%.
- Travel stories: Searches for travel stories are up 125%.
- Reduced carbon footprint: Searches on how to reduce our carbon footprint are up 86%.
Rewilding? What’s that? “That’s the call of the wild, urging you to get outside. Nature is the perfect antidote to digital fatigue, artificial lighting and sitting culture. Getting outside can lower stress and increase energy whether you’re taking in the scenery, mastering survival skills or learning new outdoor hobbies.”
People want to also spend time in the outdoors!
- Lake fishing: Searches for lake fishing tips are up 274%.
- Rockhounding: Searches for rockhounding are up 185%.
- Bushcraft camping: Searches for bushcraft camping are up 1069%.
- Outdoor bars: Searches for outdoor kitchen bars are up 2795%.
- Outdoor play areas: Searches for outdoor play areas are up 550%.
Space tourism, life on Mars, people are dreaming about space. There is a current focus on STEM educational topics like science, technology, engineering, and math, and space is what more smart kids want to learn about.
- Astrology-themed parties: Searches for astrology party themes are up 247%.
- Two the moon parties: Searches for “two the moon birthday party” ideas are up 589%.
- Galaxy birthdays: Searches for “galaxy-themed birthday party” ideas are up 341%.
- NASA logos: Searches for NASA hoodies are up 106%.
- Space tattoos: Searches for geometric space tattoo ideas are up 267%.
- Planet makeup: Searches for “out-of-this-world” planet makeup are up 217%
The 90s are back. Do you remember? Are you nostalgic? Millennials are getting older… and Gen Z is discovering the 90s for “the first time and putting their own twist on the trends, from modernized scrunchies to glitter gloss.”
- 90s cartoons: Searches for 90s cartoons are up 227%.
- Hair clips: Searches for 90s hair clips are up 930%.
- Y2K outfits: It’s not 1999, but searches for Y2K outfits are up 669%.
- 90s streetwear: Streetwear is huge these days, and searches for 90s streetwear are up 277%.
- Scrunchies: Searches for hair scrunchies are up 6309%!
More from Pinterest
Last week, Pinterest announced that its compassionate search feature that brings a collection of emotional well-being activities to nine more …
According to a recent report from eMarketer, in 2019, Pinterest overtook Snapchat as the third-largest social media platform in the …
Pinterest has started to roll out Pinterest Trends, a new tool that allows you to see the top US search …