Google’s new Test My Site tool, gives businesses a single destination to measure, benchmark and take action on their mobile site speed.
The mobile era has brought some very important changes to our lives and to the ways in which we do business. It’s hard to believe it’s only been twelve years since it began, and despite the appearance of apps, virtual assistants, bots, AR, VR, and more, digital still relies very heavily on the mobile web. If anyone wants to be relevant today, that’s where they need to get it right.
That’s where people go when they seek answers, where they go to get inspired, where they go to buy things. Therefore, it’s very important to be delivering the best mobile experience for them – a mobile experience that’s “fast, engaging and doesn’t get in the way of what they want to accomplish.” One of the era’s clearest lessons “has been that the foundation for any great mobile experience is a fast mobile experience.”
“How important?” you might ask. Well, according to SOASTA’s The State of Online Retail Performance, a one-second delay in mobile load times can impact conversion rate by up to 20%!
That’s one of the reasons why Google created the Test My Site tool in 2016 – to help businesses check the speed of their sites’ individual pages and get some recommended fixes that they can apply. Now, Google has given Test My Site a “top-to-bottom” rebuild,” and has added new features.
With the new Test My Site, businesses can now see:
- The speed of both their entire site and of individual pages
- Whether their site/page speed is faster or slower compared to the prior month
- Whether their site speed/page speed ranks Fast, Average, or Slow
- How their site speed compares to others in the industry
- The potential impact of site speed on revenue
- A detailed list of recommended fixes to increase speed on up to 5 pages on their site
- A complete report to share with their team