Nowadays you cannot aspire to find a job without being 100% sure recruiters will check your online presence at some point, and especially your LinkedIn profile. The truth is that you only get one chance to make a good first impression.
Also Read: How Recruiters Track You On Social Media
While your resume and career are still very important, it’s your profile pictures that gets noticed first by recruiters.
Recruiters spend an average of six seconds per LinkedIn profile, and 19% of these are spent on your profile picture! And that is a lot of time, because, according to a research from Princeton University, it takes us only 1/10 of a second to judge someone based on a photo.
If you like our stories, there is an easy way to stay updated:
Specialist websites AvidCareerist.com and PhotoFeeler.com put together an awesome infographic to help you understand how much your profile picture impacts your online presence and what you can do to make it to your advantage.
Key Points To Take Away
- – More than 90% of employers are recruiting through social media
- – Your profile picture is what give a recruiter’s his first impression
- – Princeton Researchers says 1/10 of a second is enough to judge someone based on a photo
4 Tips For a Great Profile Picture
- – Don’t obstruct your eyes: avoid glare from glasses, no sunglasses
- – Hire a pro (or ask a friend who knows about photography): Never use a selfie!
- – Smile with teeth: you’ll double your chances to make a good 1st impression
- – Dress formally: yes, the classic look is always a winner
You might also like
More from Experts Talk
Henk Campher, VP of Corporate Marketing at Hootsuite, talks about how brands can create meaning in an uncertain world.