It has been a particularly busy year for all social media networks. The end of 2014 finds almost all social networks in a completely different state than the beginning of the year. Mergers have changed the game in the industry and updates both in functionality and usability have set the bar higher. Let’s take them one by one.
The guys at Shift have created an infographic with all the notable moments of 2014 that took place in the social media spheres. Marketers can have a look at it and make their predictions for the year to come.
Key Points To Take Away
- – 2014 begun with Facebook launching “Paper” a standalone app that would be the first in a series of successful (and not so successful) releases to take over the App Store.
- – January 2014 finds Tumblr launching its advertising suite, powered by “mothership” Yahoo.
- – WhatsApp acquisition by Facebook hit the headlines in February, with the social network allegedly leveraging the app’s know-how to incorporate it to its Messenger app.
- – The shopping spree continued during in March as well with Facebook acquiring Oculus Rift. Virtual Social Media Network coming soon, maybe?
- – Promoted Pins came to Pinterest (as beta) during May 2014.
- – Snapchat launches “Our Story” editorial feature, which will be later sponsored by Samsung during the AMA’s.
- – September finds Instagram launching its Ad platform in the UK and Youtube introducing Fan funding for channels.
- – The biggest news of November was Snapchat launching Snapcash, a new way to transfer money through the app.
- – In December, Instagram introduced new filters and some UX changes.
Have a look at the infographic below. What was the biggest news for you in 2014?
- Snapchat Reveals Community Geofilters
- LinkedIn vs. Facebook – Which Is The Best For Professionals?
- Our 5 Social Media Predictions for 2015
You might also like
More from Experts Talk
Henk Campher, VP of Corporate Marketing and Head of Social Impact at Hootsuite, looks at five important social trends that …
In this article, Hootsuite CTO Ryan Donovan discusses advancements in social commerce, the growing privacy battle, and more 2021 social …
Here are three Facebook Blueprint courses to help you get useful information from insights on how your business is performing …