Sharing your location can be super useful when you control who can see it, and when. This is exactly why Facebook’s new Live location feature is awesome.
I don’t like it when social apps use my location without me having control over it. It’s creepy, and potentially dangerous. What I really find useful however, is when I can share my ETA within a close circle of friends, and let them know I’m on my way home, or to meet them. And that is why I’m thrilled with Facebook Messenger’s new Live location feature.
Live Location lets you share your location within Messenger conversations. This way, you have total control of who can see where you are. Plus, because it’s “live,” it shows your progress, and your friends will always know where you are – and when you will arrive. You can share your Live Location with a group of friends in Messenger or just with one person — it’s up to you! It’s a great safeguard for late night commuting, a great way to tell your family you will not be late, and also a great way to make sure the party doesn’t start without you. And because Live Location only lasts for one hour, you don’t have to worry about people knowing where you are when the conversation is over.
Of course, you will have the option to stop sharing your Live Location by tapping “stop sharing,” and you’ll see how much longer you’re sharing your Live Location. A small countdown clock in the lower right-hand corner of the map.
How It Works
- – To share your Live Location, tap the Location icon or tap the More icon and then select Location.
- – You will see a map of your current location and the option to tap a blue bar to share your Live Location. If you prefer to share only a static point on the map, tap the red pin in the upper right-hand corner.
- – If you choose to share your Live Location, the people you share it with will be able to see where you are on a map for the next 60 minutes.
- – You’ll be able to see an estimate of how long it would take to get to others’ locations by car. (The ETA is seen by the person with whom the location is shared)
- – You can stop sharing your Live Location at any time; just tap stop sharing.
- – A small clock in the lower right hand corner of the map will also let you know how much longer you’re sharing your location for.
Live Location for Facebook Messenger is rolling out globally, and is available on both iOS and Android.
You might also like
More from Facebook
Facebook has announced a revamped version of its Access Your Information tool, making it easier for users to find and …
Facebook has announced a ban, on its platforms, of ads promoting weapon accessories and protective equipment - at least through …
Following the recent events in Washington DC, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has announced an indefinite ban on Donald Trump from …
Facebook was expecting a traffic spike on its apps over New Year's Eve, but this year broke all previous records …
Facebook is running newspaper ads newspapers criticizing Apple for its policy giving iOS users the choice of whether they want …
Facebook Collab is a new experimental music-making app available in the US, that lets you create music with friends.
Facebook is rolling out it s Brand Collabs Manager to public groups this week, giving them a new opportunity for …