With three of the biggest online shopping days coming up, people are already making shopping lists for the holidays and talking about them on Facebook. Here’s what they’re talking about, and who’s leading the conversation.
According to Facebook IQ research, Singles’ Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday all accounted for over $37 billion of shopping globally in 2017. Whether it’s the beginning of November or mid-December, people are busy discovering products to buy, sharing gift ideas, and asking for recommendations from each other. That’s why it’s such a good idea for brands to know what people are talking about – to join the conversation, of course!
Millions of conversations are already taking place, with 19 million people having close to 40 million interactions related to holiday shopping in the first eight days of November. Hashtags included in the various conversations, include #blackfriday, #thanksgiving, #gift, #christmasgifts, #love, and #family. It’s also interesting to note that people are also expressing support for small and local businesses with the #shoplocal hashtag.
According to Facebook IQ, in terms of the people who are leading the conversations about shopping, women are contributing to 3x more conversations about holiday shopping – than men – on Facebook. This “indicates a strong interest in starting shopping activities earlier than their male counterparts,” whether this is to seek “the best discounts” or gear up Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The most active people in these holiday-shopping conversations are those aged 18–34, but people ages 35–54 are discussing these topics nearly as much. This shows “a similar early interest not only in holiday shopping but also using Facebook to seek inspiration and ideas.”
- Women drove 76% of holiday-shopping conversations globally on Facebook from Nov 1–8, 2018.
- People aged 18–34 drove 41% of holiday-shopping conversations globally on Facebook from Nov 1–8, 2018.
- People aged 35–54 drove 38% of holiday-shopping conversations globally on Facebook from Nov 1–8, 2018.
- The top five countries participating in conversations on Facebook about holiday shopping – across four continents: North America (US, Canada), Europe (UK), Africa (South Africa) and Asia (the Philippines).
- Top US cities participating in holiday-shopping conversations on Facebook from Nov 1–8, 2018 are New York City, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, and Atlanta.
You might also like
More from Facebook
Following the recent events in Washington DC, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has announced an indefinite ban on Donald Trump from …
Facebook was expecting a traffic spike on its apps over New Year's Eve, but this year broke all previous records …
Facebook is running newspaper ads newspapers criticizing Apple for its policy giving iOS users the choice of whether they want …
Facebook Collab is a new experimental music-making app available in the US, that lets you create music with friends.
Facebook is rolling out it s Brand Collabs Manager to public groups this week, giving them a new opportunity for …
Forty-eight attorneys general and the Federal Trade Commission say Facebook Needs To Sell Instagram And WhatsApp.
Facebook is rolling out several updates to US-based dealership Pages to make it easier for auto dealers to showcase and …