If you were wondering when Facebook would be done copying Snapchat, then you should know: that day has come. It’s not that Facebook isn’t interested anymore, it’s just that it has now taken everything from Snapchat.
Back when Facebook launched LIVE, we knew the social media giant was planning on taking over everything good that the Internet had to offer. With Instagram Stories, we knew Snapchat could take a hit. But it didn’t – not a big one anyway. Snapchat still had things Facebook did not. Lenses for example. And back then, I mentioned that Facebook owned MSQRD and that it would only be a matter of time before we would see “lenses” on Facebook. And here they are.
Starting this Halloween, Facebook will let you add a mask when going Live on its app. A skull, an evil queen and two Halloween limited-edition masks – a pumpkin and a witch – are already available. And more masks should come soon.
Here’s how to go live with a mask:
- – Tap the Live Video icon at the top of your Timeline, News Feed or Page.
- – Once you are live, tap the magic wand in the upper left corner of your screen.
- – Select the masks icon in the creative tools tray at the bottom of your screen.
- – Scroll through the options and tap on masks to have them automatically appear on your face when you are live.
- – To remove the mask, simply scroll left in the mask trap and tap the no mask sign.
Masks are rolling out for people using Facebook Live on iOS and only in the US, UK and New Zealand for now. Android users and others countries will have to wait, with masks becoming available to them “in the coming months.”
Facebook will also make masks available worldwide, to verified users using Facebook Mentions on iOS.
More from Facebook
Eventbrite and Facebook announced the launch of a new "Ticketing on Facebook" product that brings ticketing functionality to Facebook Events. …
Facebook is launching three types of maps to help health organizations plan their public health campaigns and respond to disease …