After its launch back in 2004 and its first years booming from within US universities before opening its platform to all users, Facebook is now boosting its growth through many acquisitions. From innovative apps to competing social platforms, Facebook has spent over $22 billion in acquiring other companies.
The question is: what else could one have done with those $22 billion?
Also Read: 5 Reasons Why Facebook Acquired WhatsApp
Well Column Five and Marketo teamed up to look into and compare that $22 billion total to the gross domestic products of several countries, the costs of producing feature films and the value of professional sports franchises. The results are very surprising!
Key Points to Remember
- – WhatsApp was the largest and most expensive acquisition by Facebook
- – Instagram was the first major Facebook acquisition to make the buzz
- – The amount spent by Facebook for acquisitions could have financed almost 10 times the top 10 blockbusters
- – Facebook acquisitions represent an amount 10 times superior of the value of Manchester United FC
- – Facebook spent more on acquisitions than the GDP of many countries
- New Facebook Context Cards Show Relevant Friend Activity
- Coming Soon: Video Metrics on Facebook
- RIP Facebook Poke
You might also like
More from Facebook
Following the recent events in Washington DC, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has announced an indefinite ban on Donald Trump from …
Facebook was expecting a traffic spike on its apps over New Year's Eve, but this year broke all previous records …
Facebook is running newspaper ads newspapers criticizing Apple for its policy giving iOS users the choice of whether they want …
Facebook Collab is a new experimental music-making app available in the US, that lets you create music with friends.
Facebook is rolling out it s Brand Collabs Manager to public groups this week, giving them a new opportunity for …
Forty-eight attorneys general and the Federal Trade Commission say Facebook Needs To Sell Instagram And WhatsApp.
Facebook is rolling out several updates to US-based dealership Pages to make it easier for auto dealers to showcase and …