WordPress released the latest version of its platform today. Dubbed “Smith” in honor of jazz organist Jimmy Smith, version 3.9 of WordPress is now available for download or update in your WordPress dashboard. And this new version comes with a number of refinements that you will love!
With this new version WordPress wanted to close the bridge between Editing and Viewing. This means that the editor will now let you visualize much better what your final post will look like.
The main new features are:
- – Improved visual editing: The new visual editor has improved speed, accessibility, and mobile support. You can paste into it from your word processor without wasting time to clean up messy styling.
- – Edit images easily: With quicker access to crop and rotation tools, it’s now much easier to edit your images while editing posts and scale images directly in the editor.
- – Drag and drop your images: Uploading your images is now as simple as grabbing them from your desktop and dropping them in the editor.
- – Gallery previews: Galleries display a beautiful grid of images right in the editor, just like they do in your published post.
- – Live widget and header previews: Add, edit, and rearrange your site’s widgets right in the theme customizer: preview your changes live and only save them when you’re ready. The improved header image tool also lets you upload, crop, and manage headers while customizing your theme.
On top of this, WordPress 3.9 also comes in with a bunch of great new features, especially when it comes to audio and video. The big new thing: you can now insert playlists in your posts, directly from the Media library!
Here is a video that explains it all:
- Disqus Brings Rich Media into Blog Comments
- Become a Google+ Wizard
- [How-to] Create Twitter Cards for your Content